- Navigation menu
- India's first utility scale solar project
- How eSmart Systems and Microsoft Azure are helping utility companies
- Green Bond
- Commissioned projects
- See also
- Azure Power Announces Pricing of Public Offering of 14,800,000 Equity Shares
Azure Power Global Limited is an independent power producer, a developer and an operator of utility and commercial scale solar PV power plants headquartered in New Delhi, India. The company was founded in 2008 by entrepreneur Inderpreet Wadhwa.
The company sells energy to government utilities, and independent industrial and commercial customers in India. Azure Power developed India's first utility scale solar project in 2009 in Awan, Punjab. The company also installed India's first megawatt scale solar rooftop project in Gandhinagar, Gujarat which was awarded the top 10 Public Private Partnership, 2013 by International Finance Corporation. Azure Power has a total capacity of over 3 GW in 23 states.
The company was founded by Inderpreet Wadhwa in 2008. Inderpreet, who was then a successful software professional in Silicon Valley, foresaw the opportunity in Indian energy market as the country receives about 300 clear, sunny days in a year. Azure Power’s 2 MW Punjab facility was the first utility-scale solar power plant in India in 2009.
The project provides electricity to 32 villages with over 20,000 people in Awan, Punjab. Azure Power also successfully commissioned India’s first MW scale rooftop solar power Project in Gandhinagar, Gujarat in 2013. In 2015, Azure commissioned a 100 MW solar plant in Rajasthan. This is the first of its kind large capacity solar power project with 60 MW executed exclusively with Indian technology and manufacturing making it the largest ‘make in India’ solar plant.
India's first utility scale solar project
Azure Power raised capital from investors like Foundation Capital, Helion Ventures, IFC and German development bank DEG. Today, Azure Power has a production capacity of over 3 GW across 23 states, and is amongst the largest developers and operators of utility scale solar assets in India. The company has been expanding at a CAGR of 135% since May 2012.
- Inderpreet Wadhwa: CEO since he founded the company in 2008
- HS Wadhwa: Chairman
- Sanjeev Aggarwal: Director.
Also, co-founder Helion Ventures, ex CEO and co-founder IBM Daksh Business Process Services Pvt. Ltd
- Arno Harris: Director.
Also, founder, CEO and former chairman of Recurrent Energy
- Barney S. Rush: Director. Also, served on the board of ISO - New England
- Cyril Cabanes: Director. Also, Vice-President, Head of Infrastructure Transactions, Asia-Pacific at Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ)
In November 2011, Azure Power was awarded the US Department of Commerce’s Export Achievement Certificate, at SolarCon, Hyderabad. In August 2012, Hanwha Q Cells Co., the South Korean solar panel manufacturer, tied up with Azure Power to invest and build a Solar Plant in India to generate enough electricity to supply 18,000 homes. In 2014, Azure Power selected Accenture to implement an SAPEnterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution to support and drive growth in its solar generation business.
As part of the agreement, Accenture provides implementation services in support of the SAP solution to Azure Power to help strengthen its business processes and improve planning, budgeting, forecasting, supply chain and revenue projections.
On 12 October 2016, Azure Power launched an Initial Public Offering (IPO), enabling the first listing of Indian energy assets on the New York Stock Exchange.
How eSmart Systems and Microsoft Azure are helping utility companies
With this, Azure Power also became the first renewable energy company to IPO in the US since August 2015. Azure Power tied-up approximately US$161 million as part of its pre-IPO, initial public offering and concurrent private placement. The majority of the proceeds were used to continue development of solar power plants in India.
In August 2017, Azure Power issued an inaugural green bond offering, maturing in 2022.
The Bond was certified by Climate Bonds Initiative as green bond and was the first solar green bond to be offered by a company with only solar power assets out of India.
Below are Azure Power’s some of the commissioned projects:
- 10 MW Gujarat Solar Park commissioned in Khadoda, Gujarat
- 5 MW commissioned in Nagaur, Rajasthan
- 35 MW commissioned in Nagaur, Rajasthan
- 2.5 MW rooftop project commissioned in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- ^"Contact us".
Azure Power Announces Pricing of Public Offering of 14,800,000 Equity Shares
- ^"Azure Power Global Limited - Employee count". www.bloomberg.com.
- ^"Company Overview of Azure Power Global Limited", Bloomberg
- ^ abcd"Solar powers his passion for being a social entrepreneur", The Hindu, 24 June 2012
- ^"Azure Power Board Appoints Diane Farrell as the Director", Press Trust of India, 15 January 2015
- ^ ab"Azure Power wins 300 MW project to surpass 3 GW portfolio".
pv magazine India.
- ^ ab"Azure Power to set up rooftop solar power project in Gujarat", The Hindu, 21 April 2012
- ^"Inderpreet Wadhwa: It was like driving a train even as the tracks were being laid", Forbes India, 13 June 2013
- ^"Azure Power - A Good Way To Play The Secular Growth Of The India Solar Market", Seeking Alpha, 22 December 2015
- ^"Azure Power announces Series B Investment", Business Standard, 22 March 2010
- ^"It Always Works Out in the End!", Business Today, 16 September 2012
- ^"Sukhbir, Majithia inaugurate solar power plant worth Rs 350 crore", Hindustan Times, 1 November 2014
- ^"Azure Power announces Series B Investment", Business Standard
- ^"Sanjeev Aggarwal", Bloomberg
- ^"Arno Harris joins Azure Power's Board of Directors", PV Tech, 17 May 2016
- ^"Bloomberg - Are you a robot?".
- ^"Appointment of Cyril Cabanes as a Director on Azure Power Global's Board". Retrieved 18 February 2017.
Commerce Department honors Azure Power with Export Achievement Award"[permanent dead link], Financial Chronicle, 15 November 2011
- ^"Hanwha to Work With Azure to Build Solar Plant in India", Bloomberg, 12 August 2015
- ^"Accenture to help Azure Power expand its solar generation business", Accenture, 24 April 2014
- ^"Azure Power makes a weak debut on New York Stock Exchange", The Economic Times, 28 October 2016
- ^"Azure Power ties up $470 million in funding", Live Mint, 8 November 2016
- ^"Azure Power to use NYSE listing proceeds for organic growth", Moneycontrol.com, 13 October 2016
- ^"Country's largest 10 MW Solar Power Plant", The Economic Times 8 June 2011
- ^"Azure Power gets 7035M Loan from US Exim Bank", The Hindu
- ^"Azure Power starts operating 35 MW Rajasthan Solar Power Plant", Bloomberg
- ^"Sukhbir Majiithia inaugurates solar power plant worth Rs.350 crores", Hindustan Times
- ^"Azure Power commissions largest solar power plant under India’s NSM", India Infoline, Mumbai, 14 May 2015
- ^"Azure Power commissions 30 MW solar power plant in Durg, Chhattisgarh", The Economic Times, New Delhi, 31 August 2015
- ^"Solar Grid Report", Karnataka Renewable Energy Development Ltd.
- ^"Azure’s 10 MW solar plant inaugurated in UP", Project Today, 3 February 2015
- ^"Azure Power begins 5 MW Solar Plant in Jaisalmer", Business Standard
- ^ abcdefghijklm"Fiscal First Quarter 2019 Ended June 30, 2018 : Earnings Presentation"(PDF).
Investors.azurepower.com. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- ^"Status of subsidies to Benificiaries under SECI's Grid Connected Rooftop SPV Scheme of 32.5 MWp capacity"Archived 5 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine, Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI)
- ^"Adani, Azure emerge as winners in 100-MW Indian solar tender", SeeNews Renewables, 27 January 2016
- ^ abc"Azure Power starts solar projects of 88 MW across 3 states", The Economic Times, 5 May 2016
- ^"Mohali gets country’s second largest rooftop solar power plant", Tribune India, 28 July 2016
- ^"Azure Power Commissions Largest Solar Power Project (150MW) in North India - ET EnergyWorld".
ETEnergyworld.com. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- ^"Corporate Deck - July 2013"(PDF). Investors.azurepower.com.
Retrieved 26 December 2018.